Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Church Lady , Mr. Felix, and The Almost Bluegrass Band


Early last year, around February, my friend Lorri’s husband took over directing the praise band at our chapel. Before I could stop myself, I told him that I could play the piano (and even read music!). The next Tuesday, and for about 75 Tuesdays after that, I found myself jamming with a group that became known as “The Almost Bluegrass Band.” 
We have counted among our number a guitar, a banjo, a mandolin, a violin, a fiddle, a bass guitar, a flute, an electric guitar, a clarinet, a trap set (that’s drums, for the uninitiated), and a piano--but never all at once. We have at least one additional vocalist, and sometimes as many as seven. And this past Christmas, much to my dismay, I discovered that I actually CAN sing and play at the same time. So then our leader (known by my children as “Mr. Felix”) actually expected me to DO THIS. I managed, as long as we had a spare microphone.
Every Sunday for about a year and a half we led our chapel congregation in worship. Some days this is easy, like when all the songs are fun and I actually remember to play all the chords. Some weeks it was difficult, like the time we played a song called “Deliverance” on the day my family was celebrating my cousin’s Deliverance into heaven. There were triumphs, in particular this past Easter when we played and sang an Easter Hymn medley I arranged. (Mr. Felix was fully justified in giving me the nickname “The Church Lady.”) I FINALLY got to hear what it sounds like with vocalists. And a drummer.
And then there was today. We’re moving in a few months, and our life is about to get really hectic, so it’s going to be next-to-impossible to make it to rehearsals. So today was my last Sunday with the Almost Bluegrass Band. And we sounded AWESOME. I know that the reason we play and sing is to honor God. But it is really nice when we know that we do a great job. “Be Bold, Be Strong.” “That’s Why We Praise Him.” “The Days of Elijah.” “My Savior, My God.” “How Deep the Father’s Love For Us.” “People Need the Lord.” Honest songs, songs we love. About the God who loved us first.
Felix presented me with the “game ball” (a.k.a. guitar pick) from tonight. Of course, I cried (you’re not surprised, are you?).
I can’t believe that I’m looking at April 22 in the rear-view mirror. Where is the brake on the car called Time? 
When we get to our new duty station, I hope I can find a new place to play. It won’t be another Almost Bluegrass Band--there is only one of those. But the music is far from over.

No comments:

Post a Comment